Sunday, January 3, 2010

Technology - Bah Humbug

I just have to get this out of my system and then I can go on... I hate technology. Not all technology, just the progress of technology. I guess I should have lived in pioneer times. This Christmas made it very evident how behind the times I really am. Yes, I take credit for all the things that didn't work properly. Here is just a tip of the ice berg:
1. Tyler got a DVD set of Ocean's 11,12 and 13 except it was in HD DVD format and we don't have an HD DVD player. (Apparently few people do.) Of course I thought it meant HD TV which we do have. I sent it to my brother who is trying to sell his HD DVD player.
2. The set of cymbals for Rockband were not compatible with our new Rockband. They only work with Rockband 2. I sent those also to my brother who does have a Rockband 2.
3. Another Rockband problem is that there is a lag in the response time because wii's are slower and that we have an HD tv. (Who bought that cursed tv anyway? Not me.) This we will have to live with unless we buy an PS3. Yah right.
4. Sophie got Zoo Tycoon with several expansion packs that had 3 setup disks. It came with two copies of disk 2 and no disk 3. I did know that this was a problem but it was supposed to be fixed when we received it. This was fixed with a phone call and Sophie checking the mail every day for a week.
5. Steve got a an ipod and some great head phones so I can listen to books while I quilt. The first book I tried to download gave me an error message. Zach id all the coputer magic tricks that he knows and it still wouldn't work. I checked with the library and they told me who I needed to contact. I came home and tried it once more and it worked! Now, what was all of that about!
6. Now my computer is the only thing that needs troubleshooting because it has frequent temper tantrums and it shuts down by itself. My local tech support (Zach) does not know how to fix it. If I could fly my brother here I bet he could fix it.

We did have a wonderful Christmas, especially having Kayla home. We got to meet her boyfriend and his entire family on New Year's Eve. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

cristy said...

The family is trying out the new drum accesories(sp?) as I type this....thanks. Love the new blog background.